Tuesday, May 18, 2010

London! (Take 4)

Well, flying in over London was still an amazing sight to see. Last time I flew in it was early morning and I don't remember seeing a thing, but yesterday I could see for miles!

I left home at 9:00am on Saturday and Andrea and I headed for Melbourne with Will and Louise. When we arrived at the airport, we couldn't check in our bags; as the Malaysian counter doesn't open until 2 hours before flights, so that was another 5 hour wait. Thankfully Louise had a hotel room just down the road so we went and stayed there for a while, before grabbing some tea.

We did a few laps of Melbourne airport and finally got on the plane at midnight. The first half of the flight was fantastic. Got a bit of food then went straight to sleep and next thing, it's morning and we are nearing Koala Loompa (as it will now be referred to).

Turns out we have a 3 hour stop over; not long enough to do anything, but long enough to bore you to tears! The Koala Loompa airport has a giant round section in the middle that is actually a tiny little rain forest, so we went for a wander through there, had a starbucks and did several laps of the complex. We also had a great time starting a domino effect...

First it started with a few (like 20) pilots and air hostesses going through security towards our boarding gate and we could see comfy couches on the other side, so Shelly, Andrea and I stood behind the pilots to ask the staff on the metal detectors if we could get checked and go sit on the couches. Security told us "NO" but all of a sudden we had a line of like 250 people standing behind us, waiting to get though the gate. Geez people can be sheep! Anyway, we eventually got through and then the Plane trip of 14 hours began and by goodness it was LONG! As it was daylight, it was harder to sleep and there are sonly so many games of bejewelled that you can play. In the end I made the other girls play celebrity head with me, because I was going mad with boredom! That actually passed 2 hours!

Anyway, everything went well in the landing and customs stage etc we caught the express train through to the city, because the tube was down for the weekend at Heathrow and it was raining when we arrived. We had much deserved showers and finally got to clean our teeth, when we checked in then it was off to ED's American diner (irony I know) for some chips and bed by 10pm. What a great sleep, all 3 of us were so tired!

Tip of the day: Malaysia Airways are NOT worth the extra 2 stars rating that they have, at least not for poverty class passengers. There were no hot towels; no fluffy socks, and worst of all - No toothbrushes or paste! How dare they deprive me of clean teeth! I will pack my own for the return journey...

So today we got up and headed off down the road. Just wandering along looking around and then we realise that we are a short walk from BuckingHuge Palace, so we tootled off down there and sat on the fence railing, saving ourselves front row seats for the changing of the guard. Was great to see it again, as i had forgotten a lot of stuff.

We were standing there laughing about if you dropped your camera through the fence, would the guard march over and pick it up for you? Then amazingly enough, I did drop my umbrella through the fence (duh) and No... the guards do not stop what they are doing to help you :) Thankfully, a nice police officer realised my plight (I am great with sign language through a fence) and came and picked it upo for me! My umbrealla is now called Bessie and has been in the palace grounds!

Have to go, cos I'm out of time, but will blog again when I get the chance!

Sheridan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment